Aalt van de Kuilen joined Solvay on 1st April 1980 as a chemist at the age of 23. In 1993 he moved to the Patent Department of Solvay Pharmaceuticals and received training as a Patent Information Specialist. He was leading the Global Patent Information team, divided over three sites in Hannover (DE), Dijon (FR) and Weesp (NL) with 6 patent searchers. In February 2010 Solvay Pharmaceuticals has been acquired by Abbott and the Weesp site is renamed to Abbott Healthcare Products B.V.
During the period at Solvay he became a member of WON (Dutch Patent Information User Group) and soon afterwards a Board Member of WON. He has represented WON in several external projects, like the PLUTO project on Machine Translation of Patents (funded by the EC), representing the Patent Information Community. He is a member of SACEPO (Standing Advisory Committee of the European Patent Office, by invitation only).
Aalt is co-founder and teacher at the GO-Institute for the training course for Patent Information Specialists (PIS). After being the driving force behind the founding of a European Confederacy for Patent Information Users in March 2008 he has been elected as first President of the organization called CEPIUG (Confederation of the EU-user groups). Aalt van de Kuilen is also a member of the IPI-Award selection board, for the selection of the prestigious yearly assigned IPI Award. He is also on the board of Counselors for the IPIConfex and a member of the Advisory Board of Dutch “Octrooigilde”, advising the Dutch Patent Office for promoting IP-awareness.
Seminars and Conferences
At many occasion Aalt has given presentations, lectures and tutorials:
– IPIConfex, presentations in 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012
– Tutorial at IPIConfex 2012, 2013, 2014
– Pharma Biomed Conference 2006
– Competia 2005, Barcelona on Competitive Intelligence
– PIUG conference 2008, 2010
– Workshop at PIUG conferences in 2008 and 2010
– EPOPIC conference 2008, 2010
– PatInfo Conference in Ilmenau 2011
– WON seminar 2012 (Amsterdam) (European oppositions)
– GIIP seminar 2013 (Bangalore) (Invalidity and opposition searching)
– C5 Conference on FTO in Frankfurt (DE) 2012, 2013
– Thomson Reuters IP seminar in Amsterdam 2009
Two articles has been published in World Patent Information:
1) Successful European oppositions: Analysis for the patent information professional
World Patent Information, Volume 35, Issue 2, June 2013, Pages 126-129
2) Patent Information User Groups in Europe join together: Foundation of the Confederacy of European Patent Information User Groups (CEPIUG)
World Patent Information, Volume 31, Issue 3, September 2009, Pages 216-218
Aalt van de Kuilen has also been requested to be a referee for multiple articles to be published in this Journal (World Patent Information).